- This event has passed.
Free Portland Greywater Workshop Series
15th July 2017 @ 6:30 pm
Greywater Events in Portland, Oregon this Summer!
Save water this summer while keeping your garden green! Greywater, gently used water from sinks, showers, and washing machines, is an excellent source of irrigation water. Learn how you can tap into this resource at one of our upcoming workshops.
Depave, Recode, and Greywater Action, with the generous support from East and West Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation Districts, will offer a fun and educational series of workshops to help you reuse water to irrigate your landscape.
Sign up for a workshop today!
(Priority seating will be given to residents of Multnomah County. People outside of the county are welcome to sign up on the waiting list and we’ll open up extra seats to you soon.)
Greywater 101 (Free!)
Learn the basics of greywater reuse in this free workshop, including:
- Why greywater makes sense in the rainy Northwest
- Dispel common greywater myths and misconceptions
- Plants and products
- Codes and regulations
- Common and popular greywater systems
- Costs and complexity of common systems types
Join us for this free evening workshop (7pm-8:30pm)
- June 15th at the Multnomah Arts Center 7688 Southwest Capitol Highway Register here.
- June 21st at the East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District office (5211 North Williams Avenue). Register here.
Design Your Own Laundry-to-Landscape System (Free!)
Laundry to landscape greywater systems are simple, affordable, and easy to maintain. With your own L2L system you can irrigate your landscape each time you do laundry, saving you water, time, and resources. Experienced instructors will lead you step-by-step through the design process, tailoring a system to fit your home.
- How to design a system for your home and landscape
- How to build a system- you’ll create a “mock-up” of a real system with real greywater parts
- What parts you’ll need for your home
- How much greywater you produce and how many plants you can water
- What soaps and detergents are “greywater friendly”
Bring: Photographs of your laundry room and landscape. Site plan of your yard.
For more information on an L2L system watch a video of an installation of this system on Ask This Old House.
- July 15th, 9:30am-12:00pm. Multnomah Arts Center 7688 Southwest Capitol Highway. Register here.
- August 8th, 6pm-8pm. East Portland Community Center 740 SE 106th Ave. Register here.
Hands-on laundry-to-landscape workshop
Join us for a day long, hands-on greywater installation workshop. We’ll be installing a laundry-to-landscape greywater system in a Portland house. Participants will participate in all aspects of the installation. No prior experience necessary.
Workshops are from 11am-4pm and held at a private residence.
Cost: $20 to reserve your spot, maximum 20 people per workshop.
- July 29th. Centennial Neighborhood. Register here.
- August 12th. Multnomah Village. Register here.
- September 9th. Cully Neighborhood. Register here.
5 Day Greywater Installer’s Course
We’ll also be holding a 5 day training for professionals wanting to incorporate greywater into their business. (September 13-17th). Read about the course here.
Cost: $300, limited scholarships available for women and minority professionals working in Portland.
(To apply for a work-trade position click here) Limited work trade spots available*
Register for pay or scholarship here.
Tour of Portland Greywater Systems
And to end the program we’ll host a tour of Portland greywater systems (late September).
· Read about Ted Labbe’s graywater installation and recommended resources for Portlanders thinking about installing greywater systems.
· Read more about Oregons’ graywater legalization process at Code Innovations Database: https://www.ecobuilding.org/
· Check out a high-rise reusing greywater: Bud Clark Commons Case Study in the Code Innovations Database