I recently built brand new house and spent money to install separate lines for collecting grey water.

Plumber installed 3 way valve at final outlet so water can either be diverted to sewer line or to collect in a tank as grey water.

Now this 3 way valve is about one ft below my dirt level. Now question is how I can collect this grey water in a tank. What are my options?

One obvious option is to  dig hole below this valve to install tank and then use pump. Digging a hole will be more labor intensive and will be difficult to clean tank in future.

Is there something called check valve I can use so tank can be kept above this valve? I read about this but not sure how this will work.

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

  • You must to post comments


In your situation you’ll need to dig a hole for a tank that is lower than the valve. A check valve keeps water from flowing back, but it won’t make water flow up- you’ll need a pump for that. (You will use a check valve after your pump so water doesn’t flow back down into the tank.)

My book, The Water-Wise Home, has details on tank installation and pumped systems.

Good luck with your project!

  • You must to post comments
Showing 1 result
Your Answer

Please first to submit.

Privacy Preference Center

Close your account?

Your account will be closed and all data will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Are you sure?