Composting Toilet Resources
1. Presentations (pdf)
- An Introduction to Eco Toilets from the Green Center.
- Ecological Sanitation- an Overview. By Professor Dr. Petter D. Jenssen, The Norwegian University of Life Sciences
- Composting Toilets in Large Buildings by 2020 Engineering.
- Video about the Bronx Zoo’s sewerless bathroom (composting toilets and greywater systems). Watch here.
- Page of videos on the humanure method here.
This video from National Geographic gives a clear overview of composting toilets and how they work.
Watch Jacquelyn De Gracia tour the composting toilets at a pizzeria, Ochento’s Pizza restaurant, located in the Wine Country of San Antonio de Las Minas, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. These toilets do not contaminate nor produce bad odors. 100% eco friendly.
Click here for more composting toilet images.
4. Brochures and handouts
- A Description of Eco Toilets from town of Falmouth, MA
- How to Build a Sawdust Bucket Humanure Toilet
- EcoToilet summary by Greywater Action
- Guidelines on the Use of Urine and Faeces in Crop Production by EcoSanRes
- Case Study:Portable Dry Toilets by ReCode, 2012.
- Case Study: Composting Toilet Systems in the United States. By Gabrielle Pecora, November 19, 2012
- The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins
- The Composting Toilet Systems Book by David DelPorto and Carol Steinfeld.
- Community Guide to Environmental Health. Illustrated guide to water quality, social inequality, toilets and toxics, and much more! by Jeff Conant and Pam Fadem.
- Liquid Gold-The Lore and Logic of Using Urine to Grow Plants. by Carol Steinfeld
- Household Dry Toilets: An overview of current theory and practice in various countries, with suggestions for supporting the sector in France. 2010, Toillets du Monde
- A Collection of Contemporary Toilet Designs Published by WEDC, Loughborough University, 2014
- An Unsolicited Design Review of Composting Toilets & Composting Methods. By Molly Danielsson & Mathew Lippincott
- Skaneateles Lake Watershed Composting Toilet Project in Small Flows Quarterly. The City of Syracuse, New York, selected composting toilets for a demonstration project to phase out a century-old service of collecting pails of raw sewage from privies located at private residences in the watershed of its primary drinking water supply, Skaneateles Lake.
7. Suppliers and Educational Organizations
- Suppliers of toilets and urine diverters
- International educational organizations:
- Emergency toilet designs from Relieve (New Zealand)
- ReCode– US organization working on policy change.
- The Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) Open Discussion Forum. Active forum from ecological sanitation researchers, educators, and practitioners around the world.